Thursday, August 21, 2008

I was talking to a woman down in Tasmania earlier this year about Ken Done doona cover/pillow slip sets; she had scored some really cheap because they had minor imperfections. 'Ken Done', she said, 'you either love him or hate him - and I love him.'
A lot of Ken Done's work makes me feel slightly nauseous to look at. The garishness; the aspects of Australian culture which it seeks to glamorise; the gauche banality of it; the disciple-like outward-looking approach; the valorisation of Matisse, Gauguin et al.
Occasionally though, he comes out with something good, in his moments of weakness - or, more accurately, moments in which he perceives himself to have failed...










1 comment:

dell said...

I kinda love the ken... I am glad you are doing this.

Contributors